It’s no secret that at Muntons we are committed to sustainability. We were the first Maltster to set a Science Based target, a 45% reduction of our scope 1 and 2 CO2 emissions by 2025. We are delighted to report that we have beaten that target 3 years early.
We are excited to share with you the latest update on our world-leading sustainability programme. Our ESG Report is available to download on www.muntons.com/practical-sustainability
“As a company deeply invested in creating a positive impact on society and the planet, we believe that sustainability is not just a buzzword, but an integral part of our core values. Our ESG Report serves as a transparent account of our efforts, achievements, and the steps we are taking to create a more sustainable future for all.” Commented Tim Wakeley, Head of the Sustainability Council at Muntons
As the world’s greenest maltster, we are proud to produce 100% sustainable malt. We reuse or recycle 99.7% of all resources and are committed to practical, measurable actions across our business and our supply chain. For us, sustainability goes deeper than what we do but it’s who we are. We live it, breathe it, and share it with pride.
We have received many accolades including Global Brewing Supplier at the 11th RMI World Barley, Malt and Beer conference in 2022 for practical work in sustainability. We are proud of our involvement in pioneering programmes in malt production and helping to demystify the world of carbon for the wider food and drinks industry. We have recently been awarded a Platinum Medal for the second year running by EcoVadis, the world’s most trusted sustainability ratings organisation. This places us in the top 1% of companies globally for sustainability performance.
We have invested in novel applications of technology across our Suffolk and Yorkshire plants including green energy generated from biomass, as well as water treatment, that cleans our used process water so it is safe to release back into the local river networks whilst creating power and heat for our processes at the same time! Having been in the earliest cohort of manufacturers, and the only maltster, to set Science Based Targets to reduce emissions by 2025 and to commit to being Net Zero by 2050, the progress we have made so far has given us the confidence to challenge the business even further. We are already seeing decarbonisation of our UK maltings by around 70% which has resulted in us bringing forward our net zero target by 2 decades to 2030.
- Muntons celebrated their centenary in 2021
- Its headquarters are in Stowmarket, Suffolk, where they have both a maltings and malted ingredient plant. They also have two malting plants in Yorkshire, the main maltings at Bridlington, and a new multi-million-pound peated malt plant in Tithe Top.
- Internationally, they have a malted ingredients factory in Thailand, and sales operations in the USA, Singapore and Holland.
- As one of the world’s largest malt and malted ingredients companies they provide ingredients for many of the biggest food and drink brands in the world.
- It exports its products to over 90 countries.
- It continues to be a family-owned business employing over 300 at its Stowmarket headquarters and more than 370 people globally.